This Tuesday is May Day. It’s going to be an amazing day around New York. From art and music in the streets, to a free university in Madison Square Park with lectures by David Harvey and others, to a “guitarmy” over 1000 strong with Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello leading the way, to a Brooklyn high school strike in Fort Greene park, to an unprecedented coalition of immigrant justice, unions, and occupy groups marching together, we have injustices to decry and our own power to celebrate. This is a partial list of information for the day, so you can think about how you might want to plug in, if you do. And, most importantly, spread the word! If you are not in New York City, please still post to facebook, forward to NYC friends, etc.
— Hannah Chadeayne Appel
NYCLU Know Your Rights documents: http://www.nyclu.org/publications/palm-card-know-your-rights-demonstrating-new-york-city-2011
(1) 8am-12pm in Bryant Park:
- mutual aid – food, free markets, skill shares, art!!!!!!!!!!!! music!!!!!
- departure point for “99 Pickets” – actions throughout midtown
(2) 10am – 3pm in Madison Square Park – Free University! A public experiment in education. Convergence of students, teachers, and the public demanding free education for all — 3pm. twitter: @FreeUnivNYC #FreeU
- David Harvey “Reclaiming the City for Anti-Capitalist Struggle” Time: 10:00-11:am Location: Statue
- New York Asian Women’s Center: workshop covering immigration relief for survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking. This workshop will cover the very basics of VAWA, U and T visas, and SIJS, while engaging participants in a broader discussion on how U.S. immigration laws both protect and create barriers for these populations.
- Bilal Ahmed “The Shifting Image of Martyrdom in the Arab Spring” 1:15-2pm
- Robert Robinson/Take Back the Land “Taking Action for Housing Rights: A Teach-In by Take Back the Land and Organizing for Occupation” Time: 11:30am
- Laura Whitehorn/Prisoner Solidarity Group “Mass incarceration in the U.S.” Time: 1:30-3:00; Location: Statue
- David Graeber Time: 12:00pm
- Drucilla Cornell “Constituting Revolutionary Government” Time:12:30-1pm
- Frances Fox Piven Time: 1:00pm
- Neil Smith “The Future is Radically Open” Time: 1:30-2:30
- Nitin Sawhney “The Politics of Equality: Jacobinism and
Black Jacobinism” 1-2:30
- “The Meaning of Solidarity: Facilitated questions and discussions with Marina Sitrin, Anthony Alessandrini, Gary Wilder, Jeremy Raynor, Sujatha Fernandes, Peter Ranis, Mike Menser and others; Time 12:45 – 2pm
(3) Guitarmy!!!!!!! 12-2pm Bryant Park
(4) 2pm March to Union Square to join AMAZING COALITION!
(5) Rally in Union Square with musical guests including Immortal Technique, Das Racist, Tom Morello, the NYC Labor Chorus and more
(6) March To Wall Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5:30pm